Baked oatmeal is the ultimate meal prep breakfast. You can make it over the weekend and have leftovers to reheat and enjoy throughout the week. This version is loaded with summer's ripest berries, omega-3 rich walnuts, and tasty coconut chips. It can be made gluten and dairy free, is sweetened with maple syrup, and flavored with a bit of cinnamon and vanilla extract. In the winter, feel free to use frozen berries, apples and pears, or even persimmons. You can also try topping the baked oatmeal with a bit of yogurt. It's a delicious, nourishing, and super simple breakfast.
Blueberry and Strawberry Baked Oatmeal with Walnuts and Coconut
Makes about 6 servings
Adapted from Super Natural Every Day by Heidi Swanson
2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (gluten-free if desired)
1 cup walnuts, chopped
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
½ teaspoon sea salt
2 cups unsweetened, plain plant milk (oat, hemp, almond, soy)
1/3 cup maple syrup
3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted and cooled slightly
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups strawberries, chopped
1 cup blueberries
1/2 cup coconut chips (or 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut)
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Grease a square 8-inch baking dish and set aside.
- Combine the oats, half of the walnuts, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a medium-sized bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk together the maple syrup, milk, eggs, coconut oil, and vanilla.
- Stir dry ingredients into wet and mix to combine. Gently stir in berries and coconut.
- Transfer mixture to greased baking dish and top with remaining walnuts.
- Bake until the top is golden and the oats are set, about 40-45 minutes. Store covered in the fridge for up to 5 days.