Take it to the Table
Take it to the Table is a five-session, experiential, culinary nutrition education program designed to aid in the prevention and treatment of diet-related chronic diseases. Through interactive nutrition education, hands-on culinary training, and one-on-one counseling sessions, Take it to the Table motivates and facilitates the adoption of a whole food, plant-centered, balanced and nourishing eating pattern to support and improve health.
Take it to the Table helps to close the nutrition education gap while empowering individuals to make diet a integral component of their treatment, recovery or prevention plan. Each cooking lab is designed using Social Cognitive Theory to provide participants with the culinary knowledge and skills, self-efficacy, and motivation to enact behavior change. One-on-one counseling sessions provideindividualized support to maximize positive outcomes and program participation.
Goals and Objectives
Take it to the Table participants will be able to:
- Demonstrate understanding of the benefits of eating a whole food, plant-centered, balanced, and nourishing eating pattern.
- Demonstrate understanding that food and diet are essential components of chronic disease prevention and care.
- Express positive attitudes towards increased consumption of vegetables, fruits, whole grains, legumes, nuts, seeds, herbs, and spices.
- Express increased confidence and self-efficacy around healthful eating.
- Demonstrate ability to prepare health-supportive meals using a variety of culinary techniques.
- Develop action plans to increase consumption of whole, plant foods.
- Lab 1–Eat the Rainbow Part 1: The Reds, Oranges, Yellows, and Whites
- Lab 2–Eat the Rainbow Part 2: The Greens, Blues, and Purples
- Lab 3–Whole Grains: From Amaranth to ZeaMays
- Lab 4–Pulses: Plant-Based Power Proteins
- Lab 5–Tasty Sweets and Snacks: Celebrating our Successes